The Beat

We are stalwart fans of the arts. We have international operatives with fingers to the pulse of the artistic community and making regular reports. Join us in our crusade of appreciation. We are the new-age gospel sharps for the church of imagination and you can join the evangelical revolution!

We are

Check yours is steady, and read on
on myspace

Thursday, December 12, 2002

SAS Travelogue-End

SAS Travelogue-End
by Rebecca Smith

So this is it. I can not say hello in any foreign language, for this time it is goodbye. Although I will see you all very soon, I am leaving behind the world I have to come to know over the past few months. In any language, there are no words to adequately describe this experience. Yes, I have sent you anecdotes and annotated accounts of my experiences, but the spirit of Semester at Sea, of the people I have met, of the things I have seen and done, of the lessons I have learned, this spirit can not be summed up in perfunctory little journal entries. No photo can capture what I have been through, what I have survived and surmounted, what I have enjoyed and what I will cherish. Christmas is really important to me. It’s my favorite time of year. I have particular traditions that need to be carried out, and this year I was unable to do everything I usually do. I have spent the last two weeks in my cabin playing Free Cell, listening to Christmas music, crying and wishing I was home, off the ship, and that this was over. Now that the end is here, I still feel like crying, but for a different reason. I hope I never forget the life lessons I have learned or the people I have met. I am glad to be going home. I know I have changed, I have grown, I am not the same person I was when I left, but I am sure it is for the better. I have missed you all so much. I missed my 21st birthday, well I mean I had it, but there was no one to celebrate with and nothing to do. I missed Halloween and Thanksgiving. I was unable to compete in the Black Friday blood sport shopping. I haven’t been able to decorate my dorm room for the holidays or cook everyone a turkey and not eat it since I’m a vegetarian. I haven’t forced my roommates to listen to my endless supply of Christmas music, or have Festivus. No cookie baking. No Christmas party. Despite missing all of that, and all of you, I have no regrets, except maybe some of my purchases, did I really need 2 carved stone chess boards, they weigh a freaking ton. I relish every moment I have had on this ship and off, ok well not every moment, I did not like getting sea sick, or food sick, or getting ripped off, but other than that, every moment. It was amazing. They told me I would say that. That those would be the only words I could think of, and that I would feel so inadequate using them. They were right. So we arrived in Fort Lauderdale today, which by the way is a town I do not feel the need to return to, ever. I took a “cab” to my hotel and was shocked at what the cab driver expected me to pay. I told him I am a poor college student, and bargained with him. Apparently I have learned how to do that quite well, he told me I am a very smart girl. I fear I will be in for a huge shock any time I am involved in a commercial transaction for the next few weeks since I am used to paying very low amounts for things now. I hope I can get all my luggage on the plane. I just want to thank you all for reading my stories and encouraging me. I appreciate all your enthusiasm for my journal, and your interest in my experience here. I leave for Newark, NJ tomorrow. I miss my mommy...I miss my dad, and second-mom, my sister, my brother, and my lil’ boop. I miss my friends, and my extended family. I miss my room, and safe running water. I miss real pizza and regular television programming. I miss paying obscene and extortionate amounts of money for stupid things, oh wait, I did that on my trip, too. Anywho, I have missed home. I am glad to be returning. I’ll be home for Christmas, you can count on me. See you soon!!!!! Love YA!! XOXOXO, muah, kisses!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home